Community Search
Calendar
Double Rollback
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

4/5/2012 at 2:40:21 AM GMT
Double Rollback

Well, I joined in February so probably only a few of you know me, but here is my Favorite Park Memory:

It was October 31 2010, 4:00 PM, closing day, Kingda Ka, Six Flags Great Adventure. After deciding that we needed to go home to pick up family from the train station, we squeezed in one last ride. We decided, since it would be our last ride until next season, to go front row. We had saw 2 rollbacks that day while waiting in line. My dad and I joked about getting one all of that day.

We stepped on front row, orange train, having the karate kid adds on it. Pulling out of the station, pumped for the ride, upset that it would be my last until spring. Being the second on the far side across the bridge of the station, seeing the train ahead launch made me quiver even though I have rode that ride around 70 times before. We launched. Just about to crest the top, being front row we tip over the front, going unbelievably slow, we drift back, my dad and I look at each other smiling. Falling backwards down the 456 ft tower. An indescribable feeling. Slowly drifting to the station on the launch track, tripping the photo sensor, having the light flickering for a full minute, like a disorienting strobe.

After being pulled back into the station, having them reset the ride, and a worker asking if we wanted to get off. Any enthusiast would probably say, "heck no!" just like we did. Pulling out of the station, this time being the first since they pushed us back. Launching, as we get to the top De ja vu! Same thing! I am in awe, my dad and I are whaling our arms around just because that just happened.

After getting off we stop at the photo place, the worker there was all like, "I have like a hundred photos of you two." He scrolled through them. Pointing out the first rollback launch, the frame by frame photos of us after it, the second rollback launch, the frame by frame photos after it, and the third launch (when we finally made it over). That ride home, was the most fun, just repeating to my dad, "double rollback..." and us laughing in between.

That is my Favorite Park Memory. See you in 12 hours!

-Garrett H.

Last edited Thursday, April 5, 2012
4/5/2012 at 6:36:13 AM GMT

Nice! 

4/11/2012 at 2:51:20 PM GMT
That's pretty cool. It's weird that they're camera does that. I don't think Top Thrill Dragster does that. But, seeing as how my only rollback was during the Bert the Conqueror film shoot, the photo booth was not open. However, I have seen dozens of rollbacks and don't recall seeing the camera flash strobing as the train rolled back. Weird. :-)

5/22/2012 at 10:03:10 PM GMT
CP may be missing out on that Jason, as I'd be more likely to buy a rollback photo than a run-of-the-mill on-ride picture.  I'm sure I've looked a thousand times happier during all of my rollbacks. 

6/28/2012 at 5:39:40 AM GMT
That is so cool!  (I have never had a single rollback.)

6/8/2013 at 10:45:33 PM GMT
RE:
R. Anderson said:
CP may be missing out on that Jason, as I'd be more likely to buy a rollback photo than a run-of-the-mill on-ride picture.  I'm sure I've looked a thousand times happier during all of my rollbacks. 

That would be a great deal! It would be one of those experiences a coaster enthusiast wants a photographic record of.

6/14/2013 at 6:18:16 AM GMT
Agreed!

7/13/2017 at 3:40:41 PM GMT
My girlfriend and I went to CoasterMania at CP a little over a month ago. We were in line for ERT for TTD around 12:30am. Got on and waited to be launched. Keep in mind that everyone on the ride was also there for CoasterMania and we all wanted a rollback. We get launched and I noticed we weren't going as fast as "normal" (I've been on TTD a good 30 times). Next thing I know, we were rolling back down the tower. Everyone was cheering! It was an indescribable feeling. They slowly pull our train back to the launching spot, not back into the station. We waited there for several minutes before, all of a sudden, the Christmas tree comes on and they launch us without warning. A lot of us were in mid-sentence; it was unexpected. We made it over that time. It. Was. Amazing. There were A LOT of rollbacks that day. TTD was having a crabby day. LOL :)